Sunday, July 3, 2011

That's Me in the Corner, Feeling My Humanity

‘Fear makes us feel our humanity.’ ~Benjamin Disraeli

I must admit to feeling my humanity quite a lot at the moment. In fact, I think I might actually be Freaking.Right.Out again. I don't mean to sound like Carrie Bradshaw here but I can't help but wonder ... is this untested 42 year old body really capable of running a marathon?

This morning I ran in the 10km Women's Classic at Burswood. The shins did great but the 42 year old body, more specifically the 42 year old left knee, not so much. Because I was wearing my new Skins, I thought that I wouldn't need my knee supports as well. Wrong. As explained to me by the lovely Dee, the knee supports prevent hyper-extension, the Skins don't. So it was a matter of simple biomechanics - my knees are used to running with the supports and even a minor change changed the way I ran. It didn't take long (3km in fact) for that change to result in some serious pain at the end of my left tensor fasciæ latæ. Ouch.

I was sorely (pardon the pun) tempted to take the 5km route option but couldn't bear to opt out. I managed to keep running at various points but not for very long (mainly through the parts where there were signs warning about snakes) and by 6km, I gave up any attempt as it was too painful. At the 8km point, even walking was getting unbearable but I convinced worried officials that I would be able to make it to the end. By the 9km point everyone had passed me but I got to the end even if I was stone. cold. LAST.

I'm trying not to be too disappointed. Firstly, I did it. This is quite a mental victory because I have never pushed through any sort of pain to complete something before (excepting, quite literally, childbirth - but there really is no 5km option there). I am against discomfort in all its forms but my determination to finish what I started kept me at it. Secondly, even though I walked most of this race and practically hobbled to the end I was still only a few minutes slower that my Around the Bridges time. So I must be getting a bit faster. That's good!


This woman is a physiotherapist so we can't show you her face on this blog

Fortunately, Dee's Physiotherapy is open for emergencies on a Sunday (she'll even make you tea and Nutella on toast!) and she gave me some treatment and stretches to do that will hopefully lengthen those TFL's out and stop them causing problems in the future. As a happy coincidence, I've also got an appointment with a sports physio tomorrow for a musculoskeletal exam just to see what (other) bits of this aforementioned untested body might cause problems as I approach the pointy end of the training. The non-sporty background means this body's injury free but it also means it's an unknown quantity - and I'm going to be asking it to do an awful lot in the next four months!


No comments:

Post a Comment