Sunday, January 9, 2011

The One Where I Introduce My Lizard Brain

Well, Week 4 Mark II of Pre-Training Complete! And although I did end up with all four walks in the fast walking pace range, I'm not sure my 'Warrior Beast' statement wasn't just a little premature. Week 4 Mark II did a little bit of fighting back in the form of an unpleasant reaction to an overindulgent wedding anniversary dinner on Friday night. So, that was Saturday's scheduled walk out and Week 4 ended up sneaking into Week 5 a tiny bit. Clearly, Week 4 Mark II took exception to my declaration of dominance. I shan't be making such bold statements again.

I now begin the official jogging/walking part of my pre-training plan. Just to refresh your memory, dear Readers, I post the Pre-Training Schedule from The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer that I have been following TO. THE. LETTER. (sort of). I am now entering Week 5.


I did briefly consider switching from this programme to a 'Couch Potato to 5kms' app on my iPhone. The app had the same outcome as the Pre-Training Programme; i.e., being able to jog continuously for 30 minutes. The downside of the app was an extra two weeks of pre-training, the upside a much gentler introduction to the jogging/walking stage. I've been wondering what to do about Week 5 for a while but after a happy bumping in to the lovely Megan, who has run a marathon, and her encouraging words that I could actually do it, I decided to stick with the book and at least try it. If it IS too much, I can always give the app a try.

I've noticed that when things are about to move to a new level I agonise over something (usually) unimportant and procrastinate terribly, and it's always because I am worried I am not actually going to be able to do it. My'lizard brain' (as Seth Godin refers to it) constantly chirps negative stuff, for example, this week ' I won't be able to jog for 5 minutes and then I won't be able to do the marathon and then I'll be shunned by my peers and lose my job and die an alcoholic death in an alley somewhere.  I exaggerate (only slightly) for dramatic effect. 

Sigh... oh, Lizard Brain, I wish I could switch you off. But since I can't, I guess I can commit to a ridiculously long running event for a much loved and respected charity which means I have to get on with training at increasingly harder levels despite you. Week 5 commences Tuesday. Oh yes it does.

On a slightly different note, one of my all-time favourite blogs (and books) to read is 'The Happiness Project' by Gretchen Rubin (See the links under My Blog Lists and Books). I plan to borrow some of my favourite elements from Gretchen's blog over the course of the year, notably Tip Day and also her Happiness interviews, except mine will be, of course, marathon interviews with real live marathon-y type people who have interesting stories to share. I'm getting my probing questions together at the moment but if anyone has any suggestions they would like to add, please feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment