Friday, January 28, 2011

The One Where Lance Armstrong Says 'Congratulations' and I Get a Short-Term Goal

This week my three children were away for a few days with their grandparents so Tom and I took the opportunity to go for a really long walk along the river from our house to Point Walter (about a 9.5km round trip). It wasn't an 'official' training run, it was just a walk, so I used the Nike + app to track speed and distance. The distance was the longest I have ever walked so far at a fast pace and -  a cool feature of the app - Lance Armstrong's voice popped up and said 'congratulations' afterwards for setting a PB (that's what we marathoners like to call a peronal best). What a sweet guy! I thought he sounded genuinely pleased for me.

(As an aside, Lance has completed the New York marathon twice. He recorded times of under three hours in both and reportedly said that the marathon was the hardest physical thing he had ever done. This from the guy who rides up mountains in France for fun. I am in So.Much.Trouble.)

I completed Week 3 of the Couch Potato to 5K app. Hoorah! But guess what? I am changing pre-training plans again. I am indecisive by nature, yes, but I don't blame myself as much as I blame my astrological sign (Librans are notorious for being unable to make their minds up and I really am the uber-Libran on this particular matter). It's not a massive change though -  I am only switching from the 'Couch Potato to 5K' app to the 'Couch Potato to 10K' app, although the 10K app does involve 60 minutes rather than 30 minutes of training each session.

The reason I changed was that I have been online to the WA Marathon Club's website to look at running events in Perth. The one event I really want to do this year is the Round the Bridges (Causeway and Narrows)  run which will be held on April 10th.

Not quite sure why but this event is the one which, if I can do, I will regard myself as a runner. And, yes, I know I have signed up for a freaking marathon run of 42km but I think that distance is so far outside of what I can comprehend that is it a bit meaningless at the moment. That route around the Bridges is so familiar to me and within my current sights that to do it would really be something. I calculated that if I start at Week 4 of the 10K app next week, I will finish the whole thing just in time for the Round the Bridges Run - which is slightly over 10km (10.5km to be precise).  So, I now have a short-term goal. Hoorah for short-term goals! Does anyone else want to do the Round the Bridges with me?

5 comments:

  1. I will be doing it. The last couple of years I have been lazy and done the 5km run but I figure if you can do it, I should be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well like of course! That what U.R.M's do. Count me in - but I so have to re-train! Holidays have zoned into the couch potato in me.
    Love the post ... as always! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is, like, excellent news, Mrs C!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Kate I'd love to, but with the exhausting 3 hour drive to get there in addition to my lack of lymph nodes, poor attitude and exceptionally sedentary nature, I'll have to settle for cheering from virtual sidelines.

    I do think that was a pb for a sentence the lenght of a paragraph though. Kate C

    ReplyDelete