Sunday, February 6, 2011

The One where I Consider a New Use for the Urn in the Staffroom

This week, I completed Week 4 of C210K without incident - no sore knee, no lizard brain, no changing pre-training plans, no Freaking.Right.Out. - hoorah! And, even stranger, I was actually looking forward to my training sessions. What's happening to me?!! All this and the first week of school as well. 

Up until now, I've enjoyed running early-ish in the morning but with my childrens' schooling making a reappearance, I've had to have a rethink about when I am going to fit in my training. We need to get up just before 6.30am to get everything and everyone ready for school and for me to fit the programme in beforehand would mean getting up at 5.30am. That can't happen if I am expected to be pleasant to people during the day as well. So this week, I ran on Tuesday and on Friday after school drop-off and on Sunday evening once the sea-breeze had come in.  Adorable.

But of course, I'm not back at work yet. Which is all about to change tomorrow. So, I am going to have to be more creative about fitting the three lots of (roughly) one hour training. I've decided that my best bet will be to run at lunch-time. Although I am not keen about running in the hottest part of the day and the potential for students to laugh at the sad, cellulitey (is that even a word?) old lady trying to run, there are several advantages that I can see - firstly, this semester I will be teaching classes three days a week at 10 - 11am and 12 - 1pm. I am generally incapable of doing anything other than low-level admin or checking email in the hour after I come off a solid morning of teaching so a run will be a good use of that time. Secondly, I am pretty fortunate to work at UWA, conveniently located next to the Swan River, a quite gorgeous spot to run around. I'm yet to work out where the showers are (never having had the need to know before) but UWA is pretty well stocked with those kind of facilities. If all else fails, I figure I could always turn the hot water urn in the staff room off, wait for it to cool down and use that.

My fellow runner, Mike Edyejones, the 'Muffintop Marathoner' has written a great post about the guilt he was feeling raising money for an international project, when closer to home in Queensland, they have experienced such devastation over the last month and need our help. I had been thinking similar thoughts myself. You can check out his post here.

If you haven't already heard, our fundraising movie night 'Run Fatboy Run' is on Saturday the 26th of February. We have had a great response so far and there are only 10 tickets left so let me know soon if you'd like a ticket. Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. I think you will be quite entertained by the banter etched in to the back of University shower cubicles... just when you think you've seen it all, undergrads get wordy in the public toilets.

    ReplyDelete