Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The One Where I Navigate the Work/Life/Running Balance

Oh, work. I had forgotten what a time drain you are. Fitting in my runs has proved a bit challenging over the last two weeks and my running shoes are wondering if they have said something to upset me. I only managed two of the three runs allocated for Week 5 of the Couch Potato to 10kms app and now, I'm on Week 6 and it's already Wednesday and I haven't done anything yet! With a busy schedule and week of high temperatures forecast, I'm wondering just how I'm going to get it all done. I'm going to have to run tonight (after a 36 degree day - bleaggghhh), Friday and Sunday to complete the week and make sure there is a suitable gap between runs. (Navigating the work/children/life balance is tricky enough but I am SO not a hot weather person and am just hanging out for autumn.)

It's become obvious I need me a new schedule and that Hard Decisions were called for. First realisation, I had taken on too much work-wise once again (Character Flaw #164: overly optimistic relationship to time). By cutting back on an external project, as of next week I will have two days where I don't need to be anywhere so I can spare the students the sight of me in running shorts and run after school drop-off at 8.30 on Tuesdays and every second Friday (when I haven't done the Cottesloe walk, of course).

All my marathon books advise doing some cross-training in conjunction with running so I thought I would also start incorporating some post-teaching lunchtime swims. UWA has the most beautiful outdoor pool (open to the public also) and, as I said last post, I'm pretty useless after a solid morning of teaching. A swim will be a great wind down and an opportunity to increase my fitness.

So, at this point, the proposed new exercise/running schedule goes a little something like this:

Monday - swim; Tuesday - run & pilates; Wednesday - swim; Thursday - rest day; Friday - run; Saturday or Sunday - depending on the myriad of sporting and social engagements of my children - run.

That should be a good lead up to the Round the Bridges Run on April 10th. After that, I know I will need to add at least an extra day of running in. But for now, this will be challenge enough.

On a different note, I was bit excited to see in my reader stats (which I most certainly do NOT check obsessively, no way) that someone from Ethiopia read my blog. How cool is that? I've chosen to believe it was Haile Gebrselassie checking out his competition. Haile, known as Geb, is the guy who has recorded the fastest marathon time EVER. He completed the 2008 Berlin Marathon in 2 hours 3 minutes and 59 seconds. Amazing stuff. Dear Ethiopian reader, if you are NOT Haile, please don't tell me. I simply do not need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment