Friday, March 18, 2011

The One With a Long Walk, Kylie Minogue & a Snickers Bar

This week (and last week, in all honesty) have been major non-events in training terms. The heatwave got me out of the habit of running and then with everything else going on, training became a sadly neglected priority. That has to change - the marathon is still 8 months away but I am starting from about as low as base as it is possible to imagine.

I have promised myself that Sunday will mark getting back into training with the Couch Potato to 10K app. To kick off my rededication to task, today I walked from home in Fremantle to my office at UWA.  

It was a  total distance of 12.8km.  I started off in great spirits and even ran across the Stirling Bridge but I started to hurt a bit by the time I got to the Grove Plaza in Cottesloe (about halfway). Playing some upbeat music helped and I actually ran again once 'What I Like About You' by The Romantics came on. Aaah, such an 80's moment! By the time I got to Nedlands, not even Kylie Minogue and the Glee soundtrack could mitigate the soreness in my lower limbs. (And yes, I do actually know these are some of the SADDEST power songs in the history of running).

My two and a half hour mini marathon ended at 10am and after a shower, a coffee and a scone (in that order), recovery was a happening thing and I managed to get some good work done. Come end of the working day, it was either bus, taxi or walk to pick up my kids - so I walked. 6km. That wasn't such a big deal last week but then I hadn't already walked 12km the same day.

I was absolutely fine until I got to the Narrows Bridge when I started to feel a bit dizzy and nauseous and remembered I (stupidly) hadn't actually eaten any lunch. I got to a nearby service station and bought a Snickers. (It was the closest I could get to liquid sugar). Feeling spent, no sooner had the words 'Hey, maybe someone will drive past and give me a lift for the last 2km' formed in my head when the lovely Jane appeared in her comfortable car right in front of me. I was sorely tempted to throw myself at her leather-seated mercy but this was Jane. Jane - who runs and cycles ridiculous distances. And she told me she'd give me a lift if I wanted one but I would feel much better if I completed the entire distance. And she was absolutely right. And I absolutely did.

I burned 850 calories today in my 19.1km jaunt, according to my Nike + app. And I am about to replace every single one of them and more with some delicious Indian takeaway. (It's probably just as well this marathon isn't about losing weight...)

No comments:

Post a Comment