Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Legend of Rosie Ruiz (and a Solemn Vow)

After the high of the Around the Bridges triumph, I promptly hit a low with a very nasty bug that Sam brought home from school camp. Oh, and then we moved house. Just for something to do. Life does seem to get in my way an awful lot. I lead a deliberately busy life, it's true, and that's the way (uh-huh, uh-huh) I like it (uh-huh, uh-huh) but it can be exhausting riding that rollercoaster on a regular, self-inflicted basis. Needless to say, it has been a matter of 'Training? What training?'

The need to make a consistent effort with running is something that I knew I would struggle with this year. I have a habit of taking on way too much and getting too busy - it's been all too easy to get out of the habit of running at various stages. There is still enough time though. It's over 6 months until the marathon and most training books have 4 month plans - but even so, I can't afford too many more of these periods, when too much else is going on to make space in the schedule for a concerted and regular training effort.

So now it's time once again to take a solemn vow:  I hereby and forthwith pledge and confirm before you, dear blog readers (all 35 of you) that from now until November I will NOT TAKE ON ANY OTHER PROJECTS no matter how fascinating or exciting they are. No taking up harpsichord, learning Icelandic or sewing a replica of Notre Dame cathedral, no 'why don't I just restore my gran's antique bureau myself?', no 'wouldn't it be fun to go vegetarian for a month/become a junior rugby referee/do an MBA online', NO grand plans or schemes for anything other than family, work and this marathon project. And you are hereby and forthwith required and directed to to slap me if I do otherwise. (Just not too hard, ok).

Rosie Ruiz was someone who quite famously found a way around a lack of training. She 'won' the 1980 Boston Marathon in 2 hours, 31 minutes and 56 seconds. But not long after it was discovered that she had cheated and used the subway (no-one could remember seeing her on the course until the end and her finishing time was more than 25 minutes ahead of her reported time in the New York marathon six months earlier). It soon turned out that her 1979 New York time, which had given her entry into the coveted Boston Marathon, was also a scam - she had started the race, dropped out after about 16 kms, got on the subway then walked a short distance to the finish line in Central Park. Very naughty. I'm not sure if anyone's ever tried a public transport scam in the Perth Marathon but I suspect not - it would probably take much longer than 2 hours 31 minutes to find a bus on a Sunday in Perth.

Donations now at $3840.00. Almost at the $4000.00 mark!! My goal is $5000.00 by mid-May so if anyone has found some spare cash down the back of the couch, I can direct you to a very good home for it at http://www.everydayhero.com.au/kate_offer (And while you're there, knock off James' message about how I am an inspiration to the elderly, will you?!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment