Monday, April 11, 2011

The Triumph of the Nana Shuffle

This past weekend saw my very first public outing as a runner - Sunday's 10km ASICS Around the Bridges Run! And I am on a legally sanctioned high as a result.

First things first - my time. Although I don't have the exact time yet (that will be available on the Marathon Club's website in a few days) it was about 90 minutes. Very happy with that.

Secondly, there was an unanswered question from a few blog posts back - how far could I run without stopping? Given that I was 'Runner, Interrupted' over the last month or so, I hadn't actually tried to answer that particular question and was feeling a little nervous as a result.

As the race began, I made sure to heed the advice of Kevin, a New Walker Facebook Page Likee, not to get caught up in the excitement and to pace myself so I started off with a very slow jog. When 20 minutes came and went (my previous record) I was just about on the Causeway and thought I would just try running over the bridge. At the other end, I was STILL running so then I decided to try for 5km - and did it!! At that point I took a walk-break but at 6km started jogging again (motivated by the fact that my cheer squad were at the 6.5km mark and I wanted to run triumphantly past them) and, with the exception of a fast walk up the Narrows Bridge, kept that up until the very end.

Never having been in an actual race before I did try and just concentrate on my own time and not get caught up in what other people were doing. But there were a few people who were running at about the same pace as me and I couldn't help but declare various unsuspecting runners my competition; I pitted myself against Couple in Red, BackPack Lady and Grandma.

BackPack Lady pulled ahead at the 8km mark and I lost her. My sights were then turned on Grandma and Couple in Red. By the 9km mark, Couple in Red were no longer a threat but Grandma was still a good 100m ahead.  And even though I was tiring by that stage, my desire to take her out overwhelmed me and I dug deep - and out NanaShuffle'd Nana.



 And so the finish line! What a feeling!  I still can't believe I not only ran for 5km without stopping but managed the whole 10km in an hour and a half. I am a long way off a marathon but I have done more already than I ever thought possible. I am making progress!

 And speaking of progress, donations to the SEE project are now at $3740.00! Hoorah!! Thank you all. I've promised World Vision $5000.00 by May with the rest of the total $10 000 by October. Even though I know the NY Marathon is still a while away, if anyone has been thinking that they would like to contribute to my fundraising, right now would be a wonderful time. $50.00 can supply 25 cultivated coffee plant seedling to a farmer in Ethiopia, $100.00 can provide two farmers in Senegal with seeds, tools and training to grow climate appropriate food and bigger amounts can do even more good! You can donate and get a receipt for tax purposes online at http://www.everydayhero.com.au/kate_offer

No comments:

Post a Comment