Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Fridge of Glory

Marathon Training Weeks One and Two complete - hoorah! All runs, including the longest run of 7km, were completed without Lola's help for a grand total of 34km. I still owe Sunday a 50 minute walk but I am off the minute I post this! The best bit was that my average pace was just under 8 minutes and 30 seconds a kilometre for the first time. On a scale of one to human snail, I'd say I'm closing in on a 6 or 7.

I have to admit Week Two got harder and I did notice a steady decline in my energy levels as I went along. Fortunately, the long run was only 5km in Week 2 so I didn't have a big increase in distance to contend with but I realise that I am going to have to be much more mindful of my nutrition and increase my carbohydrates in particular to keep this consistent expenditure of energy up.

The last two weeks have certainly been easier in terms of making the time to train, though, and I'm quite sure having my Novice Supreme plan prominently displayed on the fridge has had a large part to do with that. And having a set plan means there is a lot less room for thinking (read, procrastinating) - I just have to look at the plan and then do what it says. It also helps that every day when I look at that plan I see the word 'marathon' in bold. And there's nothing quite like THAT particular scary word to keep me focussed.

Speaking of the fridge, mine continues to morph into a Low-Level Hippie Central. Witness below the Novice Supreme and map of the NYC marathon route held up with Oprah-like inspirational quotes and a New York magnet (and sticky finger marks as well, no doubt. Too busy running to clean properly.)

My fridge still thinks we live in Fremantle. (I know, Fridge. I miss it too.)

 And speaking of New York, I picked up a helpful New York Marathon tip the other day from someone who knows someone (etc. So Perth); when crossing the Queensboro Bridge, which takes you into Manhattan from Queens at the 25km mark, you will have a choice to go on the upper or lower level of the bridge. Under NO circumstances go on the lower level. Unless you want to get wet. Because people use the bridge as an opportunity to have a quick wee. Ew. (And duly noted.)

The beautiful Queensboro Bridge that I get to run across! (But on the top level, obviously)
Photo by and (c)2006 Derek Ramsey

On the fundraising front, the magic half-way mark was reached this week - thanks to a generous donation from the lovely Sally and Stephen. And our big movie fundraiser 'Red Dog' (see the trailer here) is now booked for Friday the 12th of August at 10.30 at the Cygnet Theatre in South Perth. More information, including how to get tickets, coming very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment