Monday, May 16, 2011

The Novice Supreme

[Insert random sounds of excitement here] Introducing my New York 2011 Marathon Plan!! The one that will take me through to the big day in November. The one that WILL. NOT. BE. changed in a fit of Libran indecision. This.Is.It. Really.

The plan is the wonderfully named 'Novice Supreme' (which kind of makes me feel half pizza/half Motown superstar) from the equally wonderfully named Hal Higdon website. Hal's website is full of great marathon information and, among other resources, contains a full 30 week marathon training plan (unlike most books, which have 16 to 18 week plans). It is 25 weeks until the marathon so I have a plan I can work with right now, starting at Week 6. And I can even tick off Monday! Gosh, that WAS difficult.

The 'Novice Supreme' Part I. 'Cross' does not relate to my expected mood after doing all that running but cross-training, most likely cycling or swimming.
 
I am excited to get started with this program. And, in a triumph of synchronicity, the 'Novice Supreme' schedules a 21km run on the weekend of the City to Surf (August 28th) when I had already planned to run the half-marathon. Perfect timing.

Speaking of the City to Surf, if anyone is interested in running (or walking) the event too, you might like to consider running as part of Team World Vision. You'll be getting fit and raising money for a wonderful cause at the same time! Team World Vision raises money for the World Vision Multiplying Gift Appeal. This appeal operates in partnership with the UN to deliver 10 times the value of donations in food aid, which helps families in desperate famine circumstances in Africa and Asia. You can find out more at http://www.worldvision.com.au/TeamWorldVision.aspx

I didn't quite get to the $5000 by mid-May (or is it still mid-May?) but donations have now reached $4790! So pretty close to the magic halfway mark which is wonderful! Plans are afoot for a big movie fundraiser (this time inside an actual movie theatre) so as soon as we have a date locked in, I'll circulate the details.

And in the meantime, I shall continue to work on my running playlist. My iPod is a sad place but even I do not know how 'I Go To Rio' got on there. Honestly. (The really tricky bit will be running without singing along. It's just as well I can't fit maracas in my running belt). Obviously, I cannot allow 'Eye of Tiger', not even ironically, but I need some ideas for some good, beat-y, running-y type songs to keep me company. Would anyone be willing to share their favourite running song? I promise to keep it just between me, my iPod and the Internet.

4 comments:

  1. Hi read, your article in the UWA news, very inspiring.

    Fave running song..."Move your feet" by Junior Senior. Got a great beat and apt lyrics. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Odontoma It's a great song and it's now on my running playlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest 'The Chain' by Fleetwood Mac? The guitar solo has the added bonus of being known (at least in the UK) as the Formula One theme song which offers you the illusion of speed. I'd recommend it around about the time you hit The Wall.

    'Running in the shadows, damn your love, damn your lies.
    Break the silence, damn the dark, damn the light.'


    Good luck - Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mark! Anything which offers an illusion of speed has got to be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete