Sunday, September 4, 2011

Happy Feet

Weeks to Go to the Marathon:  9 (as in 'chill going up my spine')
Money raised: $15 328.00!!

This week's training was, I'm sorry to say, derailed by a Category 2 migraine.  I don't really have any other health issues, fortunately, but when those babies hit I am quite useless for a good few days. The medication takes care of the pain and the visual disturbances but not the nausea and fatigue so I only managed to complete ONE mid-week run and my long run. The challenge this week was not getting anxious about it. As luck would have it, this quote popped up on my Facebook news feed from the New York Marathon people, just when I needed it.

"Feeling a little bummed about your progress? A word of advice from Coach John: "If you can complete 80% of your plan, you are ahead of most runners. Take one day a time and only concern yourself with what you can control." Good advice. (And I think Coach John might have been watching 'Bull Durham').

The long run was 13km this week and it went well, although I certainly felt the lack of mid-week training. And my left illio-tibial band started to niggle at the 11.5 km mark so I walked the last little bit. At this point I may as well cut and paste my post from a few weeks ago because yes, you guessed it, I had slacked off AGAIN with the thigh strengthening exercises. *Sigh* Will I NEVER learn?? This week I'm going to find a regular trigger, something I do every day. My 9am lecture is probably not the place, though but where...? 

And it wasn't only my ITB that was sore after the long run. My poor old feet took a hammering as well and they were quite swollen by the end. Ouch. But that's where my new favourite appliance comes in. Behold, the beauty that is my foot spa! 

I don't know how long is too long to keep your feet in one of these things but I suspect I pushed the boundaries of both common sense and decency this evening 
The people across the road had a garage sale yesterday. They don't know me at all so I feel I can say with absolute impunity that most of what they had was rubbish. Except for this. This is genius. It's got heat. And massage. And bubbles. I can't believe I've never had one before. I've been in it for HOURS. I want to attach motorised wheels to the bottom so I can go about my day to day business and never take my feet out. This is the best $8.00 I have spent IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. Ever. EVER.

Oh, and time to report on the running song of the week(s). It's truly shameful, of course - 'I Hate the Music' by John Paul Young. Much like the Guy Sebastian song, I am justifying it on the basis that the beat is perfect for my pace. So I really have no choice but to listen to it. Really. REALLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment