Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hitting the Bonk

Weeks to go: 7
Money raised: $15 398.00!!

I have to be honest and say that the last couple of weeks have been the worst couple of training weeks I can remember. I'm not sure whether it was physical or psychological or both but there was heel-dragging of epic proportions and every run was lacklustre in the extreme. I was starting to wonder whether it was possible to 'hit the wall' (that point in a long race where a runner experiences sudden fatigue and loss of energy, caused by the depletion of glycogen stores in the body) without even starting the actual marathon.

And then as mysteriously as it arrived, the slump disappeared. My energy levels returned and my marathon mojo was back. I saw some people running along Mounts Bay Road and all of a sudden got a Pang. As in 'Ooooh, I wish I was out there too' rather than 'Sigh, I better do another one of those'. 

So being out there on the long run today was great but it was pretty wild and stormy and my Assistant Coach and I got quite wet.

Getting quite wet


The storm coming in.   
 
 
 Not good weather for runners, then but excellent weather for ducks.
  
See what I mean?

I managed 6kms today before the left knee started to play up so had to walk the last 6kms home. I've been a little more diligent with the leg exercises too. So it might just be time for another trip to see lovely Gerard the sports physio.

And speaking of 'hitting the wall', I was OH SO happy to find out that in the US it's also called 'bonking' [*suppressed giggle*]. And I am NOT even making that up. Behold this wonderful line from the Runners World website  "If you have run a distance race, chances are you have already become an aficionado of the bonk." Indeed.

Once I managed to contain my hilarity and stop reading every sentence out loud to my Assistant Coach, the website was full of interesting and useful information.  Like how 'hitting the wall' is not actually inevitable. If you take in enough carbohydrates before the race, keep hydrated, maintain electrolytes and keep at your target pace (rather than speed up with the excitement of it all), there is a good chance that you can avoid it altogether. Which would be jolly nice.

And donations are almost at $15 400! While the fundraising has surpassed my wildest hopes, if you were thinking of donating and haven't yet, please feel free to contribute! Even $20 can make a massive difference. The more money raised, the more money goes to WorldVision's SEE Solutions project to assist people create their own sustainable futures in developing countries. Every donation really inspires me to keep going so if you had been thinking about contributing now is a great time as the marathon gets closer and closer (and the training gets harder and harder!). You can donate online at http://www.everydayhero.com.au/kate_offer . Thank you so much!




No comments:

Post a Comment