Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pregnant with Anticipation

Weeks to Go: 3
Money Raised: $16 401.70!

At this point, my marathon preparation is starting to remind me of my first pregnancy. Admittedly, much smaller clothes are involved in this major life event and I am optimistic there will be less blood. But a) I'm having cravings. For every carb I see. Just like in '97,  b) my feet hurt. Just like in '97 and c) I feel like my body no longer wholly belongs to me. It's fully occupied elsewhere and has better things to do than just cart my monkey mind around. Just like in '97.

If you've been reading my blog (or you know me and that's pretty much the same thing) you'll know that I have three lovely children and if you're good at maths, you'll also know that means I've had three pregnancies. But this is like my first pregnancy because that was the only one where I didn't have any idea of what really lay ahead of me. You know, on the Big Day. Would there be whale music playing in the background while my obstetrician spoke softly and reassuringly to me? Or would the sound of surgical incisions drown out my screams? I had absolutely NO idea.

The feeling then was being carried inexorably towards something unknown and unknowable. Much like this marathon. But I remember that I didn't think too much about that inevitable end point then since I couldn't in any way prepare myself for the experience. I just did what I could (which admittedly mostly involved me sitting on the couch watching 'Friends').

I have been getting anxious about November 6th lately. But I'm trying to do what got me through in the weeks leading up to the birth of Baby #1 (not his real name). Focus on what I can do and choose not to think about what I can't control. And just go with it. Accept that the experience will be what it will be. (But I'm taking the phone number of the doctor who gave me the epidural back then, just in case).

Speaking of pregnancy, Amber Miller ran the Chicago Marathon last weekend at almost 39 weeks and gave birth just a few hours after she finished. Just as well I did not notice her time (6:25:50) otherwise I might compare myself and my projected time unfavourably (She didn't even have to ride the 'Bus of Shame'!!)


Amber Miller with her new baby. What a woman!

I was pretty tired after my trip to Darwin and work has been busier than it's ever been these last few weeks. I even had to miss my last week's long run because of a really bad migraine. It's all been a bit stressful. I've found that even though it's harder to get started at the moment but my body has needed the mid-weeks runs more than ever. There's a true chemical change that takes place after a run. I've always justified not exercising on the grounds that I was too busy but it's the running that's been keeping my stress levels (largely) under control and is making me more effective through what is traditionally the hardest time of the year, work-wise. Oh, running... I'm so glad we found each other.

This weekend's long run this week is 25km. The furthest one yet! My Assistant Coach and I plan to run really early again because it's going to be hot on Sunday. Fingers crossed for a good one. With no epidurals required.

No comments:

Post a Comment