Saturday, October 29, 2011

Industrial Disease

DAYS (wha..??!!) to Go: 8!!
Money raised: $17 353.70!!

Well, the plan for this post was quite different from the one that is actually going to be written. It WAS going to say something like 'I really can't believe that in just over 1 week's time I'll be running the New York freaking Marathon' and such-like and there were tentative thoughts about writing an ode to the Treadmill of Wonder. I had also thought I might write (IN CAPS since I was so excited) that I entered this blog in a competition to be a roving social media reporter for the New York Road Runners (the marathon organisers) and actually GOT SELECTED!! (See I did end up in caps after all). But ...

But now, as I write, these plans are in doubt. Qantas, our national airline and the airline taking us charity runners to the marathon, has upped the ante on its long-running dispute with its discontented workforce and cancelled all flights indefinitely. Who knows what will happen from here? Mike from Team WorldVision suggested we turn this into a triathlon - a swim to L.A. and cycle to New York and then the marathon. Could work. Whatever happens it's going to be an uncertain few days ahead as Plans 'B' and no doubt 'C' get put into action. 

So here's what I'm doing... I'm still packing. I'm still assuming we'll all get there. (And if anyone can get us there, Nadia from Inspired Adventures can). I'm going to stay optimistic and flexible and be open to whatever happens.

I should probably out myself now as one of those tedious hippies who believe that everything happens for a reason. So if for some reason this dispute means that I really can't get there I am going to be sad but I am also going to accept that that is the way it was meant to be. And I have already got SO much out of this year that if this is where the story ends (is that a song?) then I'll be ok with that. I'll have to be. I've raised over $17 000 for something I really believe in, gone WAY outside my comfort zone and learned and experienced things I would never otherwise have learned and experienced. It's been incredible. I want the chance to complete the experience with the trip but if I don't get it, I can still look back on this year and feel proud of what I've done and grateful for everything I've learned.

BUT, it's not over until the weight-challenged gender-neutral homosapien sings and in the meantime, I will continue to hope for a resolution to the conflict and that come Wednesday morning I'll be sitting with other charity runners on a Qantas jet bound for New York City. Oh yes!!

Wait! Why should Alan Joyce ruin your moment in the sun, Treadmill of Wonder? You deserve some attention. You have made it possible for a mother of three to do something as time consuming as train for a marathon. Without your smooth belt and strong arms, I'd have been running the streets at odd hours rather than training and watching 'How I Met your Mother' at the same time. Thank you, Treadmill of Wonder. (Although you are rather large and frankly, I'll be glad when you're out of the family room.)

So, stay tuned, New Walker readers! (Oh, and if you were thinking of doing so and haven't yet, please donate at www.everydayhero.com.au/kate_offer! Because whether I run this thing or not WorldVison's SEE Solutions project still needs your support!)

No comments:

Post a Comment