Sunday, November 6, 2011

Erev Marathon

Well. What can I say, people? It's finally here. Erev Marathon.

What does one do on Erev Marathon? That's a good question. It definitely involves eating pasta. But my roomie Holly 'I Ain't Riding No Bus of Shame' Ord and I have also been doing the following:

a) Getting all of our running gear set out.

It's going to be an early start tomorrow. We need to be on the bus that takes us to the start line at 5.30am because the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge that links Staten Island to Brooklyn closes to traffic at 7am. Fortunately, New York puts the clock back 1 hour tonight so there will be a welcome extra hour in bed in the morning. Even so, that's an early start. So things need to be right there and ready to put on.

b) Sorting out the layering situation.

Tomorrow is going to be sunny and COLD. About 1 or 2 degrees at that time of the morning. And I am in the final wave (surprise!) so I don't start running until 10.40am. To that end, I come equipped with the following items that can be discarded at the start line or along the marathon route; a favourite jumper that has been moth-eaten beyond redemption, a pair of Sam's old thermal leggings, a black faux sheepskin jacket that I got from the Good Samaritans, a hand-knitted West Coast Eagles scarf and a Nedlands Rugby Club beanie (you might want to google those terms, non-Australian readers!). I also brought a sleeping bag polar fleece liner and I plan to top that off with a garbage bag to keep the wind off, if necessary. I am, quite frankly, going to look a treat.

c) Eating.

Holly and I ducked out for some pasta, naturellement. We also stocked up on goodies for the morning and for the post-marathon feast. The usual suspects; Powerade for recovery, bananas, pound cake and chocolate. Breakfast is served at Staten Island but Joan from Virginia, the Advice Angel I sat next to today, suggested I take some things I like to eat. For comfort-food related purposes.


Thanks for being such a great roomie, Holly. You shall vanquish the Bus of Shame and it will haunt you no more

And so, here I am. Nothing to do now but talk with my far away Assistant Coach and the Coachlettes then go to bed. I have done all that can be done. There is nothing left to do now but try and get some sleep and, in the morning, just run this thing. I am most definitely in that 'anticipatory moment before jumping off', as the article in Zeek so beautifully describes.

I will be tweeting and updating 'The New Walker' page tomorrow from Staten Island before I head off on the longest of long runs. For those of you at home, my beloved Assistant Coach has turned the TV into a large mission control screen and will be tracking my progress. Since the time between New York and Perth is now 13 hours, he will be awake throughout the night so if an unexpected bout of insomnia hits and you find yourself wondering how I'm doing, feel free to give him a call.

See you in the morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment