Friday, December 31, 2010

The One Where I Blame Santa and Decide to Repeat Week 4

Ooh la la, this week has tested me - I thought that Week 4 involved four thirty minute fast walks, but in fact it was four forty five minute walks. I hadn't noticed that little detail on the Preliminary Training Programme. And I didn't get started until Wednesday, because of ... the heat, the post-Christmas sloth and the out of whack body clock, as totally predicted last post.

Monday and Tuesday came and went ... and then Wednesday morning ... and I was starting to wonder what had happened to my marathon mojo. By Wednesday evening, I knew if I didn't get started I wouldn't be able to fit the four days of exercise into the week so, even though I SO did not feel like it, I had no choice but to start. And start I did but in a modified format - I used the cross-trainer while watching Will & Grace Season Three on DVD, a cross between staying home on the couch and going for a run.The ultimate compromise position.

I don't think the cross-trainer is a true substitute for running/walking - part of the whole marathon training thing is about conditioning the muscular and skeletal system to withstand the impact of the 42km. The cross-trainer is a bit low-impact but, as I rationalised to myself, better than nothing.  I spent 45 minutes on the cross-trainer on Thursday as well (Season Six).

Come Friday the sugar hangover was lifting and I was more energetic and keen to get back to Cottesloe Beach for my regular walk. I was so busy talking to my buddy, the lovely Robyn, however, that I didn't quite make the fast walking pace. I don't have the exact speed from the time on the cross- trainer, only a rough comparison, so can't even do that slightly cheat-y thing I did last post and average out the times across the week. And New Year's Day would be the day I have to make it all up. I. Don't. Think. So. To that end, dear Readers, I have made an executive decision and will repeat the pre-training for Week 4 ... but do it properly this time. (And I choose to blame Santa. Thrown off course by a fat guy in a red suit. He seemed so nice in David Jones.)

On a slightly different topic, I'm amazed at how much more energy this exercise lark gives you (and how much I noticed the impact of Christmas).  In the first three weeks of pre-training, despite being physiologically dependent on sugar and caffeine, I starting cutting down on both without even realising. I had more energy from exercising so didn't need the energy shot of coffee or chocolate. Christmas and all the associated rich food (and the odd glass of champagne) made me really sluggish and it was a huge struggle to get motivated to move. Lesson learned. Exercise and eating properly makes you feel good - who knew??? Someone needs get this news out to the public!

A happy Hogmanay to you all and may blessings be heaped upon you and your families for 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment