Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The One Where I Wonder if I Have Done Something Really Stupid

Hello and welcome to my blog, 'The New Walker'. I'd like to thank the fabulous Caroline for both the blog's name and the photographs you see here as well as 'Friends' for allowing me to shamelessly rip off their opening credits in my post titles.

As I mention in my profile, I have committed to running ... no, completing... the 2011 New York City Marathon and by doing so, I plan to raise $10000 for WorldVision's amazing SEE Solutions project.

As I also mentioned in my profile I am most definitely NOT an athlete. I think the reaction of my brother-in-law Gus sums it up best. When I told him my plan to run a marathon he looked at me for a little while, then said 'I'm just waiting for the punchline.' Ouch!

This is a massive personal challenge for me. I am a classic leave-it-to-the last minute kind of person who has difficulty sticking with things but, I am reliably informed, there is no leaving marathon training to the night before. I also doubt I can raise $10000 between the 5th and 6th of November. So this year will be a lesson in how to make a consistent, disciplined mental as well as physical effort. Not something I have received awards for in the past but perhaps this year I can change all that.

Anyway, I've sent in my registration form now. I felt slightly ill as I signed the form but it is done. Start spreading the news, as the song goes, I'm leaving on the 2nd of November 2011 (actually, I don't think Frank Sinatra sang that last bit).

So, thank you for visiting and reading my first blog post! I hope that you find something worthwhile to read over the course of the year as I go from an unfit, flabby 42 year old to a fit, hopefully less flabby 43 year old.

3 comments:

  1. Well hello! This is a fantastic project. I promise not to try to corrupt you with too many Mr Kiplings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, hello and thanks. My very first comment - alright!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh la la Mrs O! I am your proudest follower. We said we'd be more courageous but this will be hard to beat. Definitely too late for me to take on a physical challenge but can I put my hand up for blister packs, hot tea and gentle encouragement? You ARE ready Kate so just hop to it mon ami.

    ReplyDelete