Thursday, December 16, 2010

The One Where I Hit the Daughter Jackpot and Hugh Jackman Hits a Light

Oh, Hugh. Please try and take better care of your face.  We want you to look nice for the pictures we'll be taking in November next year.

Monday the 13th was the Day of the Great Email and Facebook Deluge. Reactions have been very positive so far and I have even received $800.00 in donations! Hoorah! Thanks so much everyone. Even people who think this is madness (which includes me) have generally been unanimous in agreeing that it just falls into the category of good-crazy as opposed to lock-her-up-because-she-thinks-she's-an-egg whisk crazy. 

Speaking of crazy, I had an anxiety dream the other night that the New York City marathon was actually taking place in the Myer city store. And I was worried about how I would explain to the people that donated that I really hadn't realised that the New York City marathon wasn't actually going to be held in New York. Although I do remember being relieved because running 42km in the Myer city store wasn't going to be too much of a drama - those escalators would have to be a help. And there is a nice cafe on the top level.

Elizabeth decided to do a lamington drive in our street to fundraise for me. What a sweetie.  Here's the flyer she designed. With Elizabeth. Face used with permission.



Training continues to go well in that I'm still sticking to the Preliminary Training Program. Already the resistance is creeping in, though, and if I wasn't committed to doing this thing, I think I would have started to slack off. See what I mean about not sticking to things? Having someone to walk with helps me. My walking partner on Wednesday morning was Tom - and the good thing about walking with him is that he takes one long step for every two of mine and I unintentionally cracked the 'fast walking pace' mentioned in Week 3 of pre-training just so I could keep up.
Tomorrow is the regular Cottesloe Beach 6am walk with Rachel. We've been walking every Friday for about a year(ish) (the only regular exercise I was doing up until now) and, coutesy of the Nike app, I now know that the walk is about 5km long. And then I have the Long Walk on Saturday with Prof Andrew and his wife. And that's Week 2 complete!

Sometimes the enormity of this completely overwhelms me but I am just trying to focus on the weekly goals, rather than the fact that, at some point, I am going to have to run 42km. Because if I think too much about running 42km at this point and from where I am now in terms of physical fitness and stamina, I am going to Freak. Right. Out.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kate, this is so crazy and inspired - true genius! How did you come up with this madcap plan? :)
    -Actually it's Laura (your Fitzgerald buddy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miss Sloth, thanks for commenting! There was no plan. As usual. My friend works at WorldVision sent me through an email about it and I, in a moment of madness, thought 'there's a challenge!' I've always wanted to do something like this. I do occasionally freak out about it and think WTF am I doing but I'm doing it. Aargh.

    ReplyDelete